Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Gardening Update

I've been busy lately, speaking at a conference, photographing a wedding, so I've gotten a bit behind in the weeding... and in the reporting on my blog. So, here's where things stand in the garden.

The fence is working GREAT! Things are growing without disappearing. I've got lettuce and spinach ready for harvest, the peas are growing tall and flowering and I even see a few pods forming.

I planted both varieties of corn on May 12, once the rows of black plastic and black fabric were down, and then I planted carrots and spring onions on May 13. I hadn't planned to plant these, but I had a bit of space in the row of spinach so I bought some 50 cent seed packs and stuck them in the ground.

The seeds are from American Seed.

Carrots - Danvers Half Long - Very uniform, heavy-cropping carrot 7 to 7 1/2 inches long. Flesh is bright orange, tender, and sweet. Excellent for table or freezing. (70 days). Sow in well worked, stone-free soil, after danger of heavy frost (April-June here). Thin seedlings when they are 2-3 inches high with the final spacing of the plants 3 inches apart. Thin ruthlessly; they need room to grow. Water lightly as too much water can cause cracking.

Spring Onions - White Lisbon Bunching - A mild green onion. Tops remain fresh and crisp well after harvest. Green onions are not suitable for winter storage. (60-75 days) Sow in a sunny location after danger of spring frost (April-June). Thin to 1" apart when 3-4" high.

The corn is already well established. Hurrah! No sign of carrots or onions yet, but I'm waiting patiently.

No comments:

Post a Comment