Sunday, March 15, 2009

2008 Recap and Lessons Learned

Last year's vegetable garden was less than a stellar success.

The plot selected was overshadowed by nearby dogwood trees and was at a lower elevation than the surrounding area. Both the peas and corn had very low germination, which I suspect was due to cold air settling and/or water sitting in the low spot that was my garden.

I was largely pregnant and couldn't keep up with the weeds. It didn't help that the ground also became hard and dry, preventing easy pulling.

This year, I have a plan to combat these problems. I have selected a new site for my garden, about 20 feet further from the dogwoods and with better elevation for drainage. I intend to experiment with cloth mulch for weed control between the rows for easier weeding, and a sprinkler system for easier watering. I also mixed 800 pounds of composted cow manure into my 20' by 20' garden. I'm hoping this will not only improve the fertility of the soil, but also its texture and workability. I've also taken a soil sample for analysis to determine what other amendments would benefit the soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment