Thursday, March 19, 2009

Poison Ivy?

I spent Matthew's morning nap in the garden with the baby monitor, removing clumps of grass and laying out soaker hose. It was a very productive and enjoyable 2 hours, and I'm happy to report the soaker hose works very well.

I also got quite a few clumps of grass trying to regrow out of the garden before it occurred to me that some of the clumps were brown and fuzzy, kind of like old growth poison ivy. Could it be? There wasn't any in the patch of lawn we turned into garden... but we did recently add some topsoil to raise the garden a bit and I don't know where that came from.

It could very well be poison ivy. Thank God I was wearing gloves.

So, I aborted the morning garden project in favor of immediate prophylactic poison ivy treatment. I went inside; washed my hands; stripped; smeared alcohol based hand sanitizer on hands, wrists, face, neck, and ankles; took a hot, soapy shower followed by a hot soapy bath laced with witch hazel. Take that poison ivy oils!

I hope I was wrong, and it's not poison ivy, and I did all that for nothing. But there was no way I was going to risk getting poison ivy on Matthew if I could help it. And I'm not such a fan of getting it myself either.

If there are poison ivy remnants in my garden, I'm not sure what to do about it.... Does that look like poison ivy?

Update: Dave assures me, it's not poison ivy. Just roots from something. Whew!


No comments:

Post a Comment