Friday, March 20, 2009

A Big Day for Mailorder Plants

A while back I ordered a peach tree and 10 asparagus roots from Stark Bro's. Long before that I responded to the National Arbor Day Foundation's membership drive / 10 free trees campaign. Everything showed up today, so Dave and I are busy planting. Actually, I'm mostly directing with baby in tow, and Dave's mostly planting... sorry Dave, and thank you.

Don't tell anybody, but we're not planting all of the free trees... just the ones we like and have space for. Sorry Arbor Day. Ironically, now that I'm looking at their Website, I realize if I'd known I could get 10 Colorado Blue Spruces instead of the 10 flowering trees, they would've all found a home as part of a wind barrier. Oh well, maybe next year.

Anyway, the trees are so small, they're going in a row alongside my vegetable garden for a year or two before transplanting to their final to-be-determined locations. From the house toward the field we'll be planting Crape Myrtle, White Dogwood, White Dogwood, Eastern Redbud, and Eastern Redbud in that order. This way, I'll know which is which when it comes time to transplant them.

The peach tree got planted out back near the dogwoods, and the asparagus are going along the sunny side of the storage shed near the trash bin. I'll write more about the peach tree and asparagus in another post.

While we were in the tree planting mood, we also planted our miniature potted Christmas tree we've been watering since Christmas. So it can serve again as some wind protection, and possibly yet again as a full size cut Christmas tree. It was starting to look a little sad; I don't think it was getting enough sunlight, so I'm glad to have it planted.

By the way, does anyone want a Sargent Crabapple, Washington Hawthorn, or Goldenraintree?

No comments:

Post a Comment