Monday, March 16, 2009

To Read: "The $64 Tomato"

We were discussing gardening today at work, and my boss recommended an intriguing book:

The $64 Tomato: How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune, and Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Garden

NPR provides a review and excerpt.

After spending $60 on manure, $60 on soaker hoses, and around $40 on seeds, gloves, stakes, and pea inoculant, I definitely get the it-can-be-expensive perspective. But $64 per tomato?

I took a closer look at the expenses listed in the excerpt and laughed out loud. $300 for garden design? $1,100 for irrigation and drip hoses? $16,565 total?!?

So... I will not be growing any $64 vegetables anytime in the near future... unless my relatively inexpensive garden does REALLY poorly... yielding, say, two or three vegetables. But I might read the book for the entertainment value. If I find any time between weeding and watering my own garden that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment